iBatis 3 Java, an annotation for select, with result map in XML

iBatis 3 Java, an annotation for select, with result map in XML

Travis-48
Hi there,

I recently have been upgrading my iBatis 2.x projects to now use iBatis
3.  I really appreciate the work done to create this new Mapper
interface. And related I have started to play with having some of the
simpler queries live as @Select annotations on the mapper interface
method now instead of in the XML.

I noticed for the @Select annotation, it is possible to have the results
of the statement mapped to a java bean if I use the @Results annotation.

Would it be possible to create a new annotation (or does one exist
already and I just have not found it yet),  where I can specify that
@Select results should be a <resultMap>  that exists in the mapper XML
file ?

For example,

Consider a "country" table,

[code]
CREATE TABLE COUNTRY
(
    ID bigint PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
    CODE varchar(2) NOT NULL,
    ISO_CODE varchar(3) NOT NULL,
    NAME varchar(2147483647),
    COUNTRY_CODE varchar(10),
    ACTIVE boolean DEFAULT TRUE NOT NULL
);
[/code]

And the java Bean,

[code]
public class Country {
   Long    id;
   String  code;         // 2 digit ISO country code
   String  isoCode;      // 3 digit ISO country code
   String  name;         // string name
   String  countryCode;  // the telephone dialing prefix (e.g. +1)
   boolean active = true;

   // and all the get()  set() methods for these bean properties
}
[/code]

And then the mapper interface,

[code]
public interface CountryDAO {

   /**
   * Selects all country entries.
   * Though it appears when we use the annotations, we need to specify
the results every time ?
   */
   @Select( value = { "select * from country where active = true" })
   @Results(value = {
       @Result(property="id"),
       @Result(property="code"),
       @Result(property="isoCode", column="iso_code"),
       @Result(property="name", column="name"),
       @Result(property="countryCode", column="country_code"),
       @Result(property="active", column="active")
   })
   List<Country> getAllActive();

   // TODO: all these methods would also be select queries, where I
would want the same results map as above
   Country getById(Long id);
   Country getByCode(String code);
   Country getByIsoCode(String isoCode);
}
[/code]

Where, instead of the @Results  annotation, which would need to be
duplicated with its nested @Result annotations on every select method
that I want to return the same mapping, what I would wish to have would
be something like a

@ResultMap(value="myMapperID")

annotation, where the myMapperID would be the ID of a <resultMap> I have
declared in the mapper's xml file that will be included by the
SqlMapConfig.xml (which I have anyway to bind to this mapper interface,
and also because I have some more complex queries declared in the xml
mapper file too).

Where in this example, I already have a

[code]
<mapper namespace="CountryDAO">

<resultMap type="Country" id="countryResult">
<result property="id" column="id"/>
<result property="code" column="code"/>
<result property="isoCode" column="iso_code"/>
<result property="name" column="name"/>
<result property="countryCode" column="country_code"/>
<result property="active" column="active"/>
</resultMap>
[/code]

So this wishful @ResultMap annotation would then make the mapper
interface look like:

[code]
public interface CountryDAO {

   @Select( value = { "select * from country where active = true" })
   @ResultMap(value = "countryResult")
   List<Country> getAllActive();

   // and now other things that want to select into this map can do so,
re-using the single map declaration
   // that is referenced in the xml.

   @Select( value = { "select * from country where id = #{id} })

   @Select( value = { "select * from country where code = #{code} })

   @Select( value = { "select * from country where isoCode = #{isoCode} })
   @ResultMap(value = "countryResult")
   Country getByIsoCode(String isoCode);
}
[/code]

I think having something like this @ResultMap annotation would be a good
thing to have,  what do you think?

--
Travis

Re: iBatis 3 Java, an annotation for select, with result map in XML

Clinton Begin
Yeah, I think that would be pretty simple.  The only thing I'd have to ensure is that the XML is loaded first, which may be harder than it sounds.

File a Jira Feature Request and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,
Clinton