Migrator: system properties via command line.

Migrator: system properties via command line.

Marco Speranza
Hi all guys, I'm using migrator and I think that is a beautiful tool. In my company we use migrator into a team of 10 person, each developer has its own database. Into scm we have committed only two files: prod.properties (for production environment) and developer.properties (for dev environment) So each developer have to modify the developer.properties file with you personal information. My little idea is this: add a new migrator command line argument that overwrites "on the fly" any properties like this:

migrate -Dusername=bob -Dpassword=superSecret -DotherProp=value up

what do you think about this? If you think it's a good idea, I'd like to implement this features.

thank a lot.

best regards
Marco Speranza <[hidden email]>

Re: Migrator: system properties via command line.

Simone Tripodi
Hi all guys, ciao Marco,
I'd suggest to add profiles support instead of managing n different
properties, developers write once their local *.properties and are
free to switch from a profile to another.
Simo ;)

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Marco Speranza
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all guys, I'm using migrator and I think that is a beautiful tool. In my
> company we use migrator into a team of 10 person, each developer has its own
> database. Into scm we have committed only two files: prod.properties (for
> production environment) and developer.properties (for dev environment) So
> each developer have to modify the developer.properties file with you
> personal information. My little idea is this: add a new migrator command
> line argument that overwrites "on the fly" any properties like this:
> migrate -Dusername=bob -Dpassword=superSecret -DotherProp=value up
> what do you think about this? If you think it's a good idea, I'd like to
> implement this features.
> thank a lot.
> best regards
> --
> Marco Speranza <[hidden email]>

Re: Migrator: system properties via command line.

Clinton Begin
This was the purpose behind the environments.  Each developer could have their own environment file, perhaps by their username. You could ignore such files from your version control system.

This way, no matter how many properties differ, you can just specify the environment like:

migrate --env=cbegin status

Which is shorter than even one of your properties above.

Clinton

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Marco Speranza <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Clinton,
That sounds great, I don't know the migrator but the topic reminded me
what I usually do with Maven, that's exactly what you suggested.
Thanks a lot
Simo