[ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

[ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

Clinton Begin
ANNOUNCEMENT

Eight years ago in 2002, I created the iBATIS Data Mapper and introduced SQL Mapping as an approach to persistence layer development.  Shortly thereafter, I donated the iBATIS name and code to the Apache Software Foundation.  The ASF has been the home of iBATIS for the past six years.

A lot changes in six years.  By 2010 we've seen a great deal of innovation and change in the areas of development methodology, source control, social networking and open-source infrastructure.  As part of the ASF, iBATIS has had only limited ability to benefit from some of these new developments -- some of which are not all that new anymore.

Our project has a committed team, a vibrant community, a great culture of cooperation and some exciting new releases.  But we believe we can make it even better.

Therefore, the entire core development team of iBATIS has decided to continue the development of the framework at a new home and with a new name.

This includes all of the iBATIS for Java committers:

  * Clinton Begin
  * Brandon Goodin
  * Jeff Butler
  * Larry Meadors
  * Nathan Maves
  * Kai Grabfelder

And all of the iBATIS.NET committers:

  * Michael McCurrey
  * Ron Grabowski
  * Michael Schall

NEW NAME AND HOME

Both the Java and .NET project teams have forked the software to Google Code, where they'll continue to maintain it and create new releases.

 * The names of the new projects are:  MyBatis and MyBatis.NET
 * The website for the new projects is:  http://www.mybatis.org
 * Java Google Code Project:  http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/
 * .NET Google Code Project:  http://code.google.com/p/mybatisnet/

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Some answers to obvious questions:

 * The license will not change
 * Your code will be fully compatible
 * The package names and namespaces won't change anytime soon
 * iBATIS 2 and 3 will be supported, with both 2.3.5 GA and 3.0.1 GA releases becoming available immediately
 * iBATIS.NET 1.x and 3.x will be supported, with a new release coming available soon
 * None of the existing Apache resources will be deleted
 * The Apache project will be archived in the Apache Attic, if or when it becomes stale

DATES

  * Now - The Confluence wiki is already frozen (due to login issues)
  * By June 23rd - The Jira issue tracker will be changed to read-only mode
  * By June 30th - The team (mentioned above) will unsubscribe from the Apache mailing lists
  * July 1st, 2010 - Marks the 8th birthday of the framework!

GOALS

We believe can improve a number of things by making this move, including (but not limited to):

  * Lighter process
  * More frequent releases
  * Unified infrastructure
  * Modernized tools (source control etc.)
  * Build and deployment automation
  * Easier to use mailing lists
  * Single sign-on for users
  * Greater community involvement
  * More productive development team

NEXT STEPS

There are only a few things you need to do immediately, and a couple that you'll need to do eventually.

  1. Sign up for new mailing lists (now)
  2. Use the new issue tracker and wiki (now)
  3. Change bookmarks / links to the new site (now)
  4. Download new build (when you need your next build)
  5. Change DTD/XSD DOCTYPE headers in XML files (after you upgrade in #4, but old doctypes will work with the new framework too)

Full details for each of these steps can be found at the following Wiki page.

http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/wiki/DocIbatis2MyBatis

Making this move is a big decision and a lot of work.  However, we truly believe that the efforts will pay off.

We'd like to thank the Apache Software Foundation for the past six years of working together.

We'll see you all on the other side.

Cheers,

Clinton Begin
Original Creator of iBATIS
http://www.mybatis.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

cowwoc

    Two questions:

1) Why the name change? Couldn't you keep the iBatis name even under Google Code?
2) Will you apply for an open-source license from JIRA or will you use Google Code's bug tracker? (I prefer the former from a usability point of view)

Gili

On 21/05/2010 3:54 AM, Clinton Begin wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the questions Gili.

>> 1) Why the name change? Couldn't you keep the iBatis name even under Google Code?

When I donated iBATIS to the ASF, it was unfortunately irreversible.  This is due to the fact that Apache is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.  They cannot turn over what might be considered "assets" to a private entity.

At the end of the day the name is just a way to find the software.  It would have been easier to have the same name, but we believe our community is strong enough to survive this.

>> 2) Will you apply for an open-source license from JIRA or will you use Google Code's bug tracker? (I prefer the former from a usability point of view)

As one of our more active contributors, I have a special appreciation for your thoughts.  To begin with, we're going to use Google Code's bug tracker.  I've fielded the majority of the bugs for iBATIS, and while I do like Jira, I found that Google Code will support everything we need.  If it turns out to not be enough, then we'll consider a switch.  The most important things it supports are:  wiki syntax, comments, tags, file uploads and single sign-on.

Cheers,
Clinton

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:16 AM, cowwoc <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Clinton,

On 21/05/2010 10:04 AM, Clinton Begin wrote:
Thanks for the questions Gili.

>> 1) Why the name change? Couldn't you keep the iBatis name even under Google Code?

When I donated iBATIS to the ASF, it was unfortunately irreversible.  This is due to the fact that Apache is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.  They cannot turn over what might be considered "assets" to a private entity.

    I understand that Apache cannot turn over the ownership of iBatis to a private entity, but do we really need them to? Doesn't the Apache license allow anyone to fork the code? Why not let Apache continue to own the iBatis 2.0 branch and let Google Code own a new iBatis 3.0 branch? They can keep their copy and we keep ours.

>> 2) Will you apply for an open-source license from JIRA or will you use Google Code's bug tracker? (I prefer the former from a usability point of view)

As one of our more active contributors, I have a special appreciation for your thoughts.  To begin with, we're going to use Google Code's bug tracker.  I've fielded the majority of the bugs for iBATIS, and while I do like Jira, I found that Google Code will support everything we need.  If it turns out to not be enough, then we'll consider a switch.  The most important things it supports are:  wiki syntax, comments, tags, file uploads and single sign-on.

    Fair enough, but how will you migrate bug reports back and forth between JIRA and Google Code? On a side-note, you can swap out virtually any Google Code service. For example, you can swap their forums for Nabble. Let me know if you need help along the way. :)

Good luck!
Gili

[...]

Anyone can fork the code.  But you cannot call it iBATIS.

As for the issues, we have no intention of migrating all of the issues from Jira to Google Code.  We've moved the iBATIS 3 open tickets, only because there were only 20 and it was easy to do.  The Jira system will be frozen by Sunday.

Most of the iBATIS 2 tickets are stale, and any that are worth porting should be ported by the original author if they deem it important enough.  Only major defects (like security or stability) will be addressed in the 2.x codebase.

That said, now that iBATIS 3 is GA, I'm starting to think it might be time to look into an iBATIS 2 > 3 converter... it's probably faster and easier to create that than to try to support 2 versions of the framework in the long term.

Cheers,
Clinton

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM, cowwoc <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

  2. Use the new issue tracker and wiki (now)
  3. Change bookmarks / links to the new site (now)
  4. Download new build (when you need your next build)
  5. Change DTD/XSD DOCTYPE headers in XML files (after you upgrade in #4, but old doctypes will work with the new framework too)

Full details for each of these steps can be found at the following Wiki page.

http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/wiki/DocIbatis2MyBatis

Making this move is a big decision and a lot of work.  However, we truly believe that the efforts will pay off.

We'd like to thank the Apache Software Foundation for the past six years of working together.

We'll see you all on the other side.

Cheers,

Clinton Begin
Original Creator of iBATIS
http://www.mybatis.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

Simone Tripodi
Hi Clinton,
I'm sure you all had more than one good reason to leave the ASF home
and starting a new adventure. I hope this will be the time to
encourage people to submit MyBatis subprojects (3rd parts
integrations, caches integrations etc etc) and join the team.
Good luck!!!
Simo

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Clinton Begin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>   3. Change bookmarks / links to the new site (now)
>>>   4. Download new build (when you need your next build)
>>>   5. Change DTD/XSD DOCTYPE headers in XML files (after you upgrade in
>>> #4, but old doctypes will work with the new framework too)
>>>
>>> Full details for each of these steps can be found at the following Wiki
>>> page.
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/mybatis/wiki/DocIbatis2MyBatis
>>>
>>> Making this move is a big decision and a lot of work.  However, we truly
>>> believe that the efforts will pay off.
>>>
>>> We'd like to thank the Apache Software Foundation for the past six years
>>> of working together.
>>>
>>> We'll see you all on the other side.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Clinton Begin
>>> Original Creator of iBATIS
>>> http://www.mybatis.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code

Sparecreative
Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code I don’t mean to be a pain, but is there a way of subscribing to the new list without having to join google? I really don’t want to have another account to manage, especially with them.

I’m happy to do it through nabble as I already use them.

Z.

 * The website for the new projects is:  http://www.mybatis.org <http://www.mybatis.org/>
[...]

Unfortunately no.  You would have had to join something -- or others
would have.  Many people have google accounts, so in addition to all
of the othe benefits of Google Code, we leveraged that too.

Clinton

--
Sent from my mobile device